Home > Family Medicine > CARING FOR CHILDHOOD CANCER
CARING FOR CHILDHOOD CANCER
Caring for a cancer patient is an important job that plays a fundamental role in that patient’s recovery. Being a caregiver comes with its own set of challenges. Caring for someone with cancer can be physically and emotionally draining. Physically, you may experience fatigue, changes in appetite, or problems sleeping. Emotionally, you may feel sad, anxious, guilty, angry, frustrated, or helpless.
Also, as a caregiver remember that it’s all about team effort. A caregiver is a member of an important team of family members, friends, volunteers, and the health care team. Each member of the team offers different skills and strengths to provide effective care. As a caregiver you must:
· Gather details about the patient’s diagnosis, treatment and prognosis.
· Be proactive
· Be a problem solver
· Try to stay positive
· Care for the emotional well-being of the person with cancer
· Communicate openly with the person who has cancer.
· Accept the limitations of a person with cancer.
· Include the person with cancer in activities that provide meaning or pleasure.
· Learn how to give physical care
· Be an advocate.
Caring for a person with cancer may seem complex and like too much to cope with at first. Depending on the person’s needs, you may provide different types of support. There are many ways caregivers help the person with cancer, and it’s a little different in each case. Here are just a few examples. You can help the patient:
· Go grocery shopping and prepare meals
· Assist with personal hygiene and changing clothes
· Use the bathroom
· Do laundry
· Keep track of finances
· Drive to doctor’s appointments and treatments
· Provide emotional support
· Take medication and adhere to the treatment plan
· Change bandages after surgery
· Communicate with the healthcare team
· Communicate with other friends and family
Do you have a loved one with cancer? In need of a care giver for them? At Healthboxes we provide professional care givers. . Call 09091111129 or 08097560000 for more.
PREVENTIONS OF PNEUMONIA, ASTHMA, COLD, AND FLU THIS SEASON.
©️ Healthboxes 2020 all the rights received
Made With Pagesence Cloud